Sunday, May 13, 2012

Leica love

My relationship with Leica started 15 years ago. My boyfriend in college owned an M6, so I was lucky enough to use it on and off for more than two years.
 
Then for the next ten years, I never owned a "real" camera. I was busy with other adventures, and there wasn't a perfect camera for me.

I patiently waited for a full frame digital Leica, so when the M9 was born, I decided to make a purchase (although I only bought it in early 2011). After owning it for more than a year, I signed up for a workshop hosted by the Leica Academy. 

I like interesting people, so I always wanted to be a good street photographer. The weekend taught me exactly it. I couldn't ask for better instructors: Justin Stailey, the most knowledgeable M9 expert in America, Adam Marelli, a trained artist who knows all theories and shoots amazing pictures, and Craig Semetko, the opposite of Adam, and with the greatest instinct in grasping ironic moments in everyday life.

So here are my first tries. They are not perfect, but I'm very proud of them, and I think I will become a decent street fashion photographer one day.
The canon taking the horse
We were brought to this little park in Chinatown where all Cantonese speaking Chinese play poker and Chinese chess. I was amazed by how involved the bystanders were, and how serious and professional some of the players were. The above was taken when a gentleman's "canon" took over his enemy's "horse". I like his determined look.
 
Blue
Here is a bit street fashion for you, Chinatown style. I was drawn to the gentleman's flip flops, which appeared to be of female style. On the other hand, he did put on a blue jacket to match. He consciously or subconsciously considered the ensemble, and he rocked the blue. The flip flops, however, really showed a sense of humor. 

The retro man
This picture was taken inside the Ace Hotel. As you know, the Ace Hotel is famous for its dark and retro interior design, and some consider it the coolest hotel in town. Here he was, standing in the check-in line with his two pals, proudly showing off his mustache. 

I see mustache everywhere in Williamsburg, but this gentleman had something extra. He was not in wrinkly hipster outfits, rather, he was impeccably dressed, with this ultra crisp raincoat and stiff skinny jeans. I was lucky to capture his profile against a dark door, and I am still mesmerized by his look. I was never drawn to men with facial hair, but he looked really sexy here.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment